Filler Fast Facts
Filler Fast Facts
Last fall groundbreaking news in the dermal filler arena was released. Voluma XC, the newest hyaluronic acid filler in the Juvederm family was officially approved by the FDA as the only product in the U.S. market specifically approved to restore cheek volume that’s been lost over time. Ideal for those with very thin faces, Voluma XC can be injected into patients’ cheeks and hallows of the mid-face. The result is an immediate smoother, natural-looking appearance. Because of the different molecular structure, Voluma gives better lifting capacity with longer-lasting results as seen up to two years. As with other fillers, approximately 1-3 syringes will be used per area depending on volume loss. There is no downtime but patients may experience slight redness, swelling or bruising at the site of the injection. We asked Marina Peredo, M.D., F.A.A.D, an Allergan trainer of Voluma XC, for her recommendations for this new all-star filler's use.
What are your favorite ways to use Voluma XC?
- "Mid-face – not to make them fuller but higher up on the cheek bone. When you use just a little, it goes a long way. It has an incredible lifting capacity. Injecting a minute amount very high up on the cheek bone will lift the corner of the mouth, jowls, etc."
- "Recreating the apple of the cheeks."
- "Filling the hollows (underneath the cheek bone). People who are very athletic with no body fat have a sunken in look and Voluma can fix it! What is incredible about this product is you see results immediately and it will last for two years."
What are some off-label uses you recommend?
- "Hollow Temples, you can fill in the hollow look and also lift the brow."
- "Chin, marionette lines, corners of mouth, and jaw line."
- "I love doing a little drop in the ear lobe for people’s ear lobes that drop."
How can physicians ensure they are using it properly?
- "Know your anatomy! This is a very difficult product to inject and it can do a lot of harm, so you better know what you’re doing!"