Help Clients Attack Acne
In January, American Spa will be highlighting ways to battle serious cystic acne in the popular Medical Spa Report section of the magazine. To give you a little preview of what is to come—and to help clients who are currently facing the frustrations of dealing with breakouts—here are some tips from Long Island, NY, dermatologist Marina Peredo, M.D., to help them keep their skin spotless.
- Avoid exfoliating or scrubbing the skin as it may cause further acne irruptions.
- For those with sensitive skin, find a hypoallergenic facial cleanser that does not contain benzoyl peroxide or salicylic acid.
- Find an alpha hydroxy acid based toner that will gently exfoliate the skin and encourage it to rejuvenate and heal more quickly.
- Then use a hypoallergenic facial moisturizer that will nourish and protect the skin without creating oiliness.
- To avoid further clogging of the pores, all cosmetics, lotions and sunscreens should be oil free and look for product labels that read "non-comedogenic"
- Cover up acne with a true mineral makeup, as it lays on top of your skin, allows it to breath, and won't clog pores.
Looking for some effective acne treatments? Here are some of Peredo's suggestions:
- Begin the acne battle by washing both day and night with the gloTherapeutics Clear Acne Cleanser, a pore-opening exfoliating cleanser with 2% salicylic acid, apple enzyme, and gentle scrubbing beads help open pores and deeply penetrate to deliver advance results
- Continue the daily acne-fighting regime, by using glotherapeutics Clear Complexion Pads. After cleansing, wipe the clear complexion pad all over the face, allowing the solution to penetrate into pores. These pads break down excess sebum, immediately balancing oily skin and helping to prevent the growth of acne-causing bacteria
- Christina’s Comodex Double Action mask is a two-in-one mask that calms skin, while it minimizes pores. Working simultaneously together, zinc oxide, menthol, and calendula cool and heal the skin while calming and reducing redness. This may be used two to three times a week, depending on severity of acne, along with other acne fighting products.
- For pimples on-the-go, apply glotherapeutics original Spot Fix, a rollerball blemish treatment formulated to purify and calm the skin to soothe and heal further with zinc and skin-benefitting botanicals. It is recommended for all skin types and can be applied one to three times daily, directly on irritated area.
- To ensure acne irritated skin stays refreshed and clear each day, try Christina Comodex Night Treatment. After cleansing and protecting the skin, apply the Night Treatment twice a week and increase usage gradually. Retinol, lactic and kojic acids, and niacinamide work altogether to clear and prevent secondary skin blemishes.