Happy National Relaxation Day! To celebrate this chill holiday, I wanted to share a few scientifically backed ways to kick back, de-stress, and find your happy place. We know you're ensuring all your clients find bliss, and you deserve it too!
- Go Green: Studies have shown patients in hospital rooms with plants report lower stress. Even just stepping into a lush space can reduce your heart rate. Plus, plants are effective at increasing oxygen and clearing out toxins, which should help you breathe easier—literally.
- Go Classic: Music has plenty of benefits and classical music in particular, has been shown to slow heart rate, lower blood pressure and even decrease levels of stress hormones.
- Chew Gum: The act of chewing gum has been proven to lower cortisol and improve reported mood.
- Eat Fruit: Bananas are a sound choice; potassium helps your body regulate blood pressure and keeping that under control should help you bounce back more quickly from what’s got you stressed. Citrus fruits are also beneficial; recent studies show that vitamin C helps to alleviate the physical and psychological effects of stress.
- Breathe Deep: Your body needs more oxygen, not less, to deal with stress well. So deep, thoughtful breathes are much more effective than short, shallow ones. Try this technique.