Top 20 Interview Questions
- What aspects of your training and education have most helped you on the job?
- What skills or knowledge do you have not evident from your school records?
- What about your last job prepared you for this job?
- What did you like most and least about your previous jobs?
- What would your previous supervisor say if we asked him or her about what you are like as an employee?
- What are your two greatest accomplishments on your previous jobs?
- What are your two greatest disappointments on your previous jobs?
- If you could design the ideal job for you, what would it be like?
- Tell me what you know about our company and its competitors.
- How do you resolve personal confrontations?
- What have you done when you've received instructions with which you've disagreed?
- What constructive criticism have you received, and what did you do about it?
- Tell me about your experiences working on a team.
- What do you feel are the qualities required for good leadership?
- Tell me about a group you had to lead that was difficult and how you got the members to achieve a goal.
Behavior under stress
- What do you do when you have too much work for a given period of time?
- Tell me about the toughest decision you ever had to make.
Future Behaviors/Retention Possibilities
- Where would you like to be careerwise in 5 years? In 10 years?
- What are three things you will NOT do on your next job?
- Are you lucky?
If you consider number 20 a bit strange, it has real potential, according to Daniel Pink, author of the best seller, "Free Agent Nation," and a speaker at SHRM's recent national conference. According to Pink, individuals who believe themselves lucky tend to be optimistic and work out well as collaborators, innovators, and providers of excellent customer service.