The spa employee has a hierarchy of needs that you must understand and satisfy if you desire to retain them for long and benefit from their tenure. The top 5, in order of importance to employees, are:
1. Education: the strong need to be stimulated, improved, and valued through a continuous investment in knowledge.
2. Recognition and Validation: the feeling that one is appreciated for their personal and technical contribution to the company's success.
3. Growth and opportunity: the sense that one isn't stagnating in a futureless job.
4. Security: the belief that they have chosen a safe, supportive, and healthy company to work for.
5. Personal Income: "Well, I do need to make a living too..."
The less you foster values #1 through #4, the more value #5 money, rises to the top of the list. In other words without the sense of satisfaction one wants to feel from their primary values the more one's secondary values increase in importance. This is especially dangerous to employers in the spa (clientele dependent) industry since we know that time will be required in order for even an outstanding therapist to develop a reliable following.
The more this employee can feel satisfaction with their primary values the more patient and motivated they will be in waiting out the normal business building stages. Be generous with training and praise, and you'll receive a handsome payback from your investment!
About Preston, Inc.
Preston Private Label offers over 100 outstanding, results-oriented skin and body care products for both retail and professional use. We offer an excellent—-and free—-regional technical and career-building education program, affordable minimums, and fully custom labels, pre-applied. Choose from two packaging options and get the look that best suits your branding strategy. Generous margins that allow for markup from 150-700% mean you gain maximum benefit from retailing. From cleansers and toners to cosmeceutical serums, pro enzyme, glycolic and lactic peels to body contouring wraps, gift kits to aromatherapy oil blends and more, we have everything you need to create a highy effective, full range product line. Visit our website at www.prestoninc.net for more information!