Eating healthy can sometimes be a difficult task when faced with so many options, and one of the biggest reasons is we don’t always know which foods are good for us and which aren’t. Healing Lifestyles & Spas recently reported the eight most forbidden foods for anyone trying to stay healthy—and the list is scary! Things we encounter every day may not be as healthy as we thought. Here are the eight major foods you and your clients should stay away from:
- Non-Organic Berries: After the recent Hepatitis A outbreak, it is even clearer that organic berries are the only way to go. The amount of chemicals that go into perfecting berries these days is very unhealthy, so you should choose the organically grown type when possible.
- Conventional Meat: Meat can be a scary thing to buy what with the amount of growth hormones and mixed-meat products masquerading as something else. Look for choices such as grass-fed beef and always read the labels. You never know what you’re going to get unless you do.
- GMOs: genetically modified anything should be your signal that there’s probably a healthier choice out there. Veggies like corn are most likely GMOs, so search your grocery store for an organic option.
- Non-Dark Chocolate: We’ve heard this one before; dark chocolate is better than milk chocolate. The truth of the matter is that milk chocolate has so much extra sugar and butter that it is really not a good choice. Stick with its darker and more natural counterpart.
- Sprouts: One word—bacteria. Since sprouts need such a warm, wet environment to grow, they can easily become the perfect host for bacteria, which is something you’d do best to avoid.
- Swordfish: Mercury has been a fear for fish lovers for a while now, but swordfish is one of the biggest culprits. The swordfish available at your local market is most likely very high in mercury, which can lead to developmental and heart problems if you ingest too much.
- Diet Soda: Though it’s called “diet,” this stuff is simply unhealthy and unnatural. According to Healing Lifestyles & Spas, studies have proved that the sugar substitutes in diet soda can cause everything from weight gain to depression to cancer.
- Canned Foods: BPA, or Bisphenol A, is a dangerous chemical found in plastic and, believe it or not, canned food. Linked to infertility problems, breast cancer, prostate cancer, and other health issues, its much less risky to buy food that comes in a glass container.
What are some healthier options your spa offers to replace these forbidden foods?