The Umstead Hotel and Spa (Cary, NC) is helping guests embrace a healthy lifestyle with the introduction of the Restore menu. Launched by executive chef Steven Greene, Restore isn’t focused on low-calorie, low-carb, or any other diet concept. Instead, it presents a whole-foods approach to healthy living, showcasing fresh, seasonal produce in creative ways to nourish the senses. Most ingredients are locally sourced, and many are handpicked from the nearby farm at SAS Campus, which implements organic and sustainable methods. Here, get the lowdown on the preparation of a delicious and nutritious winter dessert.
Almond Panna Cotta with Berries and Hibiscus
- 24 ounces of almond milk
- 3 1/2 ounces of granular cane sugar
- 2 1/2 tsps of powdered gelatin
- 1 vanilla bean
- seasonal berries
- hibiscus tea
- Marcona almonds, chopped
1. Warm 20 ounces of almond milk with the seeds and pod from the vanilla bean.
2. Set aside, cover, and allow to steep.
3. Sprinkle powdered gelatin over the remaining 4 ounces of almond milk. Allow it to completely absorb the moisture.
4. Microwave the gelatin and almond milk mixture until the gelatin is melted.
5. Pour the mixture into the almond milk with vanilla. Add in the granular cane sugar, and heat until the sugar is dissolved.
6. Dispense into a vessel after the mixture is at room temperature. This will help the vanilla seeds float throughout the panna cotta.
7. Soak berries in hibiscus tea.
8. Garnish panna cotta with hibiscus-infused berries and chopped Marcona almonds.