Fresh spring veggies with a touch of citrus can brighten any spa-goer’s day. After a treatment at The Spa at Bernardus Lodge (Carmel Valley, CA), guests can head to Lucia Restaurant & Bar for a healthy lunch. Chef Cal Stamenov, a Golden State native, harvests greens from on-site organic gardens for his Asp Salad. “With vegetables that are fresh, they don’t have to be fully cooked, just lightly blanched,” he says. “I like simple, and this salad, accompanied by a little citrus vinaigrette, gives it just enough complexity to brighten the flavors. I like to shave a bit of aged cheese over the top for an extra kick.”
Asp Salad with Citrus Vinaigrette
Asp Salad (serves 1)
- 3 asparagus spears
- 1/4 cup of fava beans (removed from pods)
- 1/4 cup of peas (removed from pods)
- Aged Pecorino cheese (optional)
Citrus Vinaigrette (Serves 6 to 8)
- 3 oranges, juiced and strained
- 2 lemons, juiced and strained
- 1 lime, juiced and strained
- 1/2 cup of olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
1. Blanch vegetables in salted boiling water for 2 to 3 minutes.
2. Drain and plunge the vegetables into ice water to stop the cooking process.
3. Drain again, and pat dry with towels.
4. In a small pot, combine the orange, lemon, and lime juices. Heat over medium heat until volume is reduced by one third.
5. Remove and allow to cool. Emulsify juice with olive oil.
6. Season with salt and pepper.
7. Pour the dressing over the blanched vegetables.
8. Optional: Sprinkle with aged Pecorino cheese—
the chef’s favorite.
9. Refrigerate the leftover dressing and enjoy on your