Thanks to the Whole Grains Council, I’ve learned a lot about this month’s grain of choice, the oat. Far more versatile than just as a breakfast table staple, it offers a bevy of health and beauty benefits. Here are a few to sink your teeth into:
- Eating oats helps lower LDL “bad” cholesterol and the risk of heart disease.
- Oats are high in beta-glucans, a starch that stimulates the immune system and inhibits tumors.
- Oats contain more than 20 unique polyphenols, which have a strong antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, and anti-itching effect.
- According to the American Academy of Dermatology (AAD) oatmeal can help normalize pH of the skin to treat dryness.
- Because oatmeal contains saponins, known for cleansing properties, it is an ideal face mask, cleanser, or soap for sensitive skin.
- Finely ground oats double as a homemade, all-natural dry shampoo, removing excess oils from hair.
Does your spa incorporate this grain in treatments?