Even if you or your clients haven’t read the books, you most certainly have heard of the "Fifty Shades of Grey" phenomenon, starting with a book series three years ago and now turned into a movie. The movie opened in theaters this weekend with a record setting $94.4 million debut. With spending like that, it’s no wonder the beauty and spa industry have jumped on board the franchise with their own versions of grey products and experiences. Here are a few that are sure to excite fans:
- OPI released a limited-edition nail polish collection with a range of six shades—My Silk Tie, Romantically Involved, Dark Side of the Mood, Shine for Me, Cement the Deal, and Embrace the Gray—all inspired by the movie.
- The Fifty Shades of Grey Massage Me Massage Candle features a musky, sandalwood scent can be used as an aromatic candle or melted for a massage.
- Duri's 12 Shades of Desire collection includes a variety of dark vampy hues, brights, shimmers, and neutrals.
For fans who want to be immersed in the page-turning tale, they can plan a trip and indulge in one of these themed packages:
- Salish Lodge and Spa (Snoqualmie, WA) has added the Fifty Shades of Salish package to help couples revitalize their connection with a one-night stay, rose petals in the room, two cocktails, a copy of the relationship guide Great Sex Weekend, and a dining credit for breakfast in bed. Spa-goers can add on one of many romantic treatments at The Spa at Salish Lodge in February, including a Chocolate Mocha Body Scrub (starting at $120, 50 minutes) or Fireside Chocolate Massage for Two (starting at $140 per person, 50 minutes; starting at $240 per person, 80 minutes).
- Couples who book the Fifty Shades of B getaway at B Ocean Resort (Fort Lauderdale, FL) are greeted with a kit of items that appeared in the books, including a silk tie and bottle of Pouilly Fume wine.
- Another warm weather alternative is the 50 Shades of Romance package at Eden Roc Miami Beach (FL). The offering includes cocktails, Fifty Shades of Grey-inspired “Do Not Disturb” door sign, tickets for the movie, and a discount at lingerie at Eberjey-South Beach. Couples can continue to celebrate their love by booking Je T’aime ($320, 50 minutes), which includes a Couples Massage and Champagne for two or work on their relationship with Couple’s Therapy ($350, 80 minutes), which features a customized 25-minute hands-on massage tutorial from a therapist followed by a 50-minute Couple’s massage and Champagne.