April is an ideal time for spa-goers to venture to North Carolina, because April is Beer Month in the state. Businesses all over the state are celebrating the month of malts with creative offerings. The Umstead Hotel and Spa’s (Cary, NC) pastry chef Evan Sheridan and spa director Carolyn Doe have whipped up booze-infused Cashew Chocolate Cake and DIY Beer Body Scrub recipes inspired by their favorite local libations.
People’s Porter Cashew Chocolate Cake Recipe
This special will be featured on The Bar & Lounge dessert menu starting April 8
- 3 oz. of Butter
- ¼ cup of Light Brown Sugar
- ¼ cup of Sugar
- 2 Large Eggs
- ½ cup of People’s Porter
- 1 tsp of Vanilla Extract
- ¼ cup of Cocoa Powder
- 1/3 cup of Cake Flour
- 1 tsp of Baking Powder
- 1 tsp of Salt
- 1 cup of Toasted Salted Cashews (chopped)
- Vanilla Ice Cream (store-bought)
- Cream the Butter and Sugars together on medium speed (do not paddle too fast or the cake will fall after it is baked), scraping down the bowl.
- Slowly add in the eggs one at a time, making sure to fully incorporate each egg before adding another.
- Add in the People’s Porter and mix. Scrape down the bowl again.
- Sift the dry ingredients together and mix until incorporated. Do not over mix. A
- dd in chopped roasted cashews and finish.
- Scoop the cake batter into muffin tins and bake at 350 degrees F for approximately 20-30 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean after inserted.
- Finish with whipped cream, toasted cashews, and vanilla ice cream.
DIY Beer Body Scrub Recipe
Infused with local favorite Willow Wit Beer, this body scrub softens dry winter skin, pulls out breakout-causing impurities, and even helps shield against harmful UV rays.
- 5 oz. of Epsom Salt
- 1-2 tbsps of Olive Oil
- 1 tbsp of Weeping Willow Wit Beer (or your favorite beer)
- 2-3 drops of Lemon Oil
- 1 Basil Leaf (chopped finely)
- In a mixing bowl, combine the Epsom Salt and Olive Oil.
- Slowly add in the Beer and wait until it settles in the bowl. Mix in remaining ingredients.
- Prepare a warm shower and gently apply the scrub in circular motions over your legs, exfoliating the skin to a smooth finish.
- Breathe deeply and absorb the gentle aromas. If you experience breakouts, apply to your shoulders and back to soothe and remove impurities in the skin.
- After each use, store the remainder in an air tight container and keep refrigerated.