Right in time for fall and the holidays, destination spa Rancho La Puerta (Tecate, Mexico) has whipped up a recipe for root vegetables roasted with honey, balsamic, and spices. This healthy and flavorful side is a perfect complement to any main dish. After the various fitness classes and luxurious spa treatments, guests can satisfy cravings with nutritious meals from the vegetarian spa cuisine, with produce and ingredients from the property's 6-acre organic garden.
Roasted Vegetables with Honey and Balsamic
- 1 tbsp of Whole Fennel Seed
- 1 tbsp of Crushed Red Pepper
- 1 tsp of Whole Dried Thyme
- ½ tsp of Sea Salt
- ½ tsp of Fresh Ground Black Pepper
- 2 Small Parsnips
- 1 Large Carrot
- 1 Chayote
- ½ White Turnip
- ½ Rutabaga
- 2 cups of Additional Vegetables (i.e. Shallots, Sweet Potatoes, arms, Brussel Sprouts, Purple Potatoes)
- 2 tsps of Olive Oil
- 2 tsps of Balsamic Vinegar
- 1 tsp of Honey
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Heat a small frying pan over medium heat. Add fennel seed and toast, shaking constantly until the seeds are fragrant, about 1 minute. Pour onto a plate to cool. Stir in remaining spices.
- Peel the vegetables and cut into 1 ½ in. chunks. In a large bowl, toss the vegetables with 1 tablespoon of the spice mixture and oil.
- Spread the seasonal vegetables on a baking sheet in a single layer. Do not crowd them or they won't roast properly.
- Roast for 45 minutes, or until the vegetables are well browned and soft. Loosen vegetables from the pan and drizzle with the balsamic vinegar and honey.