It seems the travel bug has was especially contagious last year. It even caught the healthy spa-goer set. Wellness travel grew four times more than expected in the last year, leading hotels to begin offering more stand-out wellness offerings that fit a variety of health and fitness needs, including:
- Holistic Wellness: From on-site sleep schools to all-encompassing wellness consultations (fitness, nutrition, integrative medicine). After an initial consultation, guests at Well & Being (multiple locations) choose wellness options ranging from the latest fitness systems (CrossFit, Aerial Hammock Yoga, SurfSET, TRX), personalized nutrition and preventative health programs, private diagnostics of Bod Pod Composition Measurement and integrated spa treatments.
- Complete Disconnection: Truly experience destinations by unplugging via dedicated programming. The Westin Hilton Head Island Resort & Spa launched Unplug Hilton Head package, which includes sunrise/sunset alerts, island walking/biking maps, flashlights, and complimentary use of New Balance Gear. The resort will also disable their televisions, collect cellphones and tablets, offer spa credit, bicycles, and Superfoods amenity upon arrival for participating guests.
- Celebrity Fitness Trainers: Utilize hotel partnerships with high-level fitness experts for exclusive, curated workout programs. The W Retreat & Spa – Vieques Island launched an exclusive ENERGIZE by Tara Stiles program with the yoga expert and celebrity teacher offering access to a customized yoga, nutrition, and wellness program.
- Spa Rebirth: Begin anew with womb-like experiences that revitalize body and mind. The Ohtli Spa at CasaMagna Marriott Puerto Vallarta Resort offers revitalizing treatments that fuse the latest in spa offerings with Huichol tribal tradition and legend. For example, the Rebirth Therapy utilizes the healing power of water for meditation.
- Localized Remedies: Eliminate toxins by incorporating natural ingredients such as Dead Sea salt, coffee, herbs and algae. Inspired by its desert roots, the Westin La Paloma Resort & Spa is converting its cold plunge pool into a hot mineral bath with imported salt from the Dead Sea. Known to reduce pain and improve muscle movement, immersing in mineral-rich water coupled with stress release from the heat provides decompression.
For more on trends that spa-goers travel for, check out our 2015 Trend Report.