Known as the window to your soul, your eyes can reveal a lot about you and your clients. One major revelation is age. Delicate, thin skin around the eye area is one of the first areas to age. Dark circles, crow’s feet, bags and swelling can make you look exhausted and angry when you’re not—and years older. It’s probably not surprising to find out that eyelid surgery is one of the most popular cosmetic surgical procedures in women. Additionally, the American Academy of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery (AAFPRS) reports that in 2016, facelifts, browlifts, and blepharoplasty (eye lift) were the three most commonly performed procedures in adults over 55.
According to the AAFPRS, everyone is laser-focused on the impression our eyes are making. In fact, 62 percent of facial plastic surgeons report in the annual survey that patients requesting eyelid procedures to look less tired is a rising trend.
If clients are at the end of the rope with their tired eyes, but are not ready for surgery, there are several intermediate steps you can offer for them that make a big impact—and as explained below, may not require surgery.
There is literally something for everyone, of almost every age and with almost any combination of wrinkles, sags and bulges.
- Fillers (to lessen dark circles)
- Botox (to relax muscles around the eyes and lift a heavy lid)
- Light therapy (non ablative fractional lasers tap into the power of light to grow new collagen)
- Microdermabrasion (to smooth out crow’s feet)
- Chemical peels (to boost collagen)
- Autologous fat transfer (fat from your own body is injected beneath the skin and muscle of the cheek and lower eyelid).
Whatever your client’s needs, there’s a way to bring back their big, bright, yes-I-did-get-eight-hours-of-sleep-last-night eyes again!