The Global Wellness Summit (GWS), an annual event that brings together international leaders to positively shape the future of the wellness industry, has announced key elements of its 9th annual conference agenda. Considered the world’s most prestigious gathering of business, government and academic leaders who value wellness, the Summit takes place November 13-15 at The St. Regis Mexico City and is expected to host a record number of delegates from myriad industries, including spa, education and tourism, as well as beauty, fitness, nutrition, finance, environment, medicine, architecture, workplace wellness, wellness communities and technology.
Keynote speaker Dr. Deepak Chopra heads up a list of high-profile presenters which includes executives from companies as diverse as Cirque du Soleil and Zappos; Mexico City’s Ministers of Tourism and Health; and panelists from renowned organizations such as Johnson & Johnson, the Mayo Clinic, Duke Integrative Medicine and Harvard Chan School of Public Health. In addition, top findings from the Global Wellness Institute’s major research report on the “Future of Workplace Wellness” will be presented.
This year’s inclusive theme, “Building a Well World,” will attract attendees from over 40 countries and provide a comprehensive look at how the dramatic growth of the $3.4 trillion wellness sector is transforming peoples’ personal and professional lives - and what the outlook is for the future.
Speaker Highlights: In addition to Dr. Deepak Chopra, delegates will hear from (full list and bios here):
- Agapi Stassinopoulos, sought-after speaker and best-selling author, who will share her wisdom on the main stage, as well as moderate two “Thrive” workshops at the Summit
- Louie Schwartzberg, filmmaker and founder of Moving Art, whose TED talks have attracted over 47 million views, will share a world premiere of his film series, Gratitude Revealed, later to be featured on Oprah.com
- Nerio Alessandri, founder of Technogym and the non-profit Wellness Foundation, will share his passion for research and education that fuels a healthy lifestyle
- Martin Boudreau, Cirque du Soleil’s president of Parks and Immersive Content, discussing the process of innovation and the company’s new interactive destinations
- Maggie Hsu, chief of staff to Tony Hsieh, CEO of online retailer Zappos.com, will describe what it’s like to be her own boss, as Zappos adapts “holacracy,” the company’s new management structure
- Thierry Malleret, co-founder of The Monthly Barometer, will share his analysis of a world where wellness may become mandatory, and what that means for the global economy
- Samer Hamadeh, founder and CEO of Zeel USA, will present his disruptive wellness model: zeel.com - the “Uber of Massage”
- Gina Diez Barroso, president & CEO Grupo Diarq, will speak on the emerging importance of creativity in business and how that convergence is impacting business everywhere
Emcee: Giselle Fernandez, a five-time Emmy award winning journalist and Mexico native, will emcee this year’s event. Fernandez brings her love of wellness and deep journalistic experience, including interviews with global leaders like Carlos Slim, Fidel Castro, Henry Kissinger and President Bill Clinton, to the Summit’s stage.
Panels and Workshops: An extensive number of panels and workshops will be presented on a wide-ranging array of topics, including spa, hospitality, technology, diet and nutrition, how to attract investment, wellness communities and residences, as well as new conceptual distinctions being made between “wellness” and “well-being.” New for 2015 is a focus on “clinical wellness,” with panelists taking an objective look at how medical treatment and wellness modalities can better co-exist. Doctors from world-renowned institutions like the Mayo Clinic and Duke Integrative Medicine will join the debate with Scientific American VP, Global Media Alliances, Jeremy Abbate, moderating. Panels on the future of, and current innovations in, workplace wellness will include insight from top organizations like Johnson & Johnson and the Mayo Clinic.
Focus on Mexico: Both the Minister of Tourism, Mr. Miquel Torruco Marqués, and Minister of Health, Dr. José Armando Ahued Ortega, will share their unique perspectives on achieving wellness in an increasingly urbanized world; along with special presentations on wellness modalities unique to Mexico, including the indigenous temazcal treatment, and how these treatments can galvanize wellness tourism. In addition, Jeanene Bluhm, co-founder and creator of Mexico’s Thomas Jefferson Institute, will present on putting wellness at the center of education.
Student Competition: The 7th annual Student Challenge, a competition between international universities to create a spa resort/wellness concept of the future, will see two schools competing: Universidad Anáhuac México Norte (Mexico) and the University of Nevada Las Vegas (USA).
Networking and Gala Events: The Summit is known for its networking and themed gala events. This year, delegates will have a chance to experience the brand new Design and Film School, CENTRO, as well as the famous Palacio de Bellas Artes.
The event’s full agenda can be found here. The Summit is an exclusive gathering for senior executives; for information about attending click here. Delegates can also register for special pre-and-post Summit tours of spa and wellness locations in Mexico here.