You all are well aware that spa management is a very challenging career choice. Interestingly, there are limited formal education opportunities in the field so it takes an especially creative individual to make it happen. According to the Global Spa & Wellness Summit (GSWS), there are approximately 130,000 to 180,000 spa managers and directors in the industry and only 4,000 students worldwide currently enrolled in spa management related degree programs. This wide gap inspired the Spa Management Career Trends Survey, which revealed interesting facts about the field from 550 participants.
- The spa industry brings an international career and diversified workforce. Spa directors work in exotic locations all over the world.
- Spa managers have high job satisfaction. In fact, 86 percent are extremely satisfied with their careers.
- Mentoring is an important part of the position. About two-thirds say they have a spa mentor and 94 percent say it is valuable.
- The industry is good for upward mobility. In it 64 percent of spa leaders began their careers as receptionists in the spa and 58 percent have worked as therapists or technicians.
- Finally, 80 percent say they would recommend a spa management career to their best friend.
Check out our April issue for more on this revealing survey and what spas are doing to bridge the talent gap.