Omni Bedford Springs Resort & Spa held its first annual Be Well Weekend at the beginning of this month. The all-inclusive program from the historic resort offered myriad opportunities for participants to personalize their own path to wellness with guidance from leading authorities in the fields of nutrition, natural healing, herbal medicine, and self-care. To encourage guests to fully immerse themselves in the event, Omni Bedford Springs Resort & Spa had an exclusive Be Well Weekend Package (from $265) that includes luxurious accommodations for two or three nights and included access to compelling discussions, lectures, select meals and more.
The featured speaker was Patrick Kirkham, founder and president of Natural Alliance, a Lancaster, PA,-based organization devoted to guiding personal steps to achieving wellness by affirming and energizing the body, mind, and spirit. Kirkham has spent the past two decades supporting people in their journey of living well in today's toxic world. Together with holistic and allopathic health care providers, Kirkham has worked to find solutions and support the wellness goals of their clients. Joined by more than a dozen additional experts, they offered participants a robust line-up of talks, workshops, and other activities. Highlights included:
- What to Expect When Going Gluten Free with Naomi Poe, founder and CEO of Better Batter Gluten Free Flour. Diagnosed with celiac disease in 2004, Poe's quest to find delicious, easy-to-use gluten-free alternatives culminated in the founding of the company.
- Remedies from Mother's Kitchen with Ella McElwee, M.D., who grew up with Mennonite parents on her family's farm and was exposed to many natural remedies to resolve normal challenges of life. She worked as an ICU nurse at St. Joseph's Hospital (now Regional) in Lancaster, PA, McElwee will led a presentation on Sclerology & Iridology, the scientific studies of red lines in the whites of eyes and irises in eyes, respectively.
- Food is Medicine with Joe Gattuso, M.D., a cardiologist from Cardiology Associates of Altoona, PA, who is associated with multiple hospitals throughout the area.
- Harmonic Medicine: Ancient Remedy for Modern Healing with Jennifer Gehl, a Certified Acutonics Practitioner with more than 10 years experience in applied use of sound vibration to promote deep relaxation and customized healing.
- Spine Health with Steve McNeal, M.D., who turned to yoga to recover from injuries in 1982 and kept going on the healer's path. McNeal has a degree from Life Chiropractic and has practiced at Health by Choice in New Enterprise, Pa. for the past nine years.
- The Earth Electric with Allan Maury Streiff, an agricultural consultant for gardeners and farmers across the U.S. Streiff's extensive knowledge in biochemistry, biological farming, biodynamics, subtle energies and subtle energy technologies gives him a unique and comprehensive perspective on agriculture and soil.
- Herbal Medicine with Dr. Gerald Reisinger who began harvesting wild herbs for Iroquois blends at age 4 and today owns a 200-acre farm with over 100 artesian springs and many grown herbal medicines. He founded the Pennsylvania Association of Naturopathic Physicians in 1979.
Additional workshops addressed Aromatherapy, Fall Prevention and Chronic Disease Management, and much more, allowing guests to personalize their journey based on their individual needs. Participants also could add a wide array of activities and experiences, including Yoga, Guided Hikes, as well as a World Drumming Program.