Today’s newsletter from Healing Lifestyles & Spa featured a list of foods that help fight cancer, written by Melissa Williams, the co-owner, Yoga Junction. Since I can’t think of anyone who hasn’t been impacted in some way by cancer, I wanted to share. Please share with your clients and loved ones, and add these foods to your shopping lists ASAP.
Cancer prevention begins when your fork hits your mouth. PERIOD.
While exercise and stress reduction are keys to health, what you PUT IN your body is equally if not more important (and heads up, this includes toxic thoughts and behaviors).
Here are the top 5 foods for your anti-cancer dinner plate:
- Cabbage. Cabbage, as well as its cruciferous cousins (broccoli, Brussels sprouts, etc.), have been shown in numerous studies to help prevent the replication of cancer cells (so much that there are supplements that isolate compounds found in these veggies alone).
- Turmeric. Found in Indian cuisine, this root boosts immunity and helps decrease inflammation.
- Berries. Yes, cancer-fighting can taste like dessert. Berries have been shown to help prevent the duplication of cancer cells.
- Green tea. All tea has anti-cancer benefits, but green tea has proven to help prevent the “feeding” of cancer cells.
- Mushrooms. According to Dr. Andrew Weil you need to choose specific mushrooms for anticancer effects. He suggests shiitakes, enoki, maitake, and reishi.