Today I’m scrambling to organize a daytrip to the beach because, once again, Labor Day Weekend has snuck up on me. I can’t wait to hear the sound of crashing waves, smell the sweet, salty air, and feel the sand between my toes. What’s more, we all have another reason to spend a day on the shore, where some of the most powerful natural anti-aging ingredients are found. These marine plants and minerals can calm, clear, and smooth skin:
- Brown and red algae help reinforce protective barriers in skin cells so they can retain moisture and block irritants effectively. According to research, fucosterol, a compound found in brown algae, helps decrease inflammation caused by UV rays and increases production of collagen and antioxidant enzymes.
- Caviar has topical as well as culinary uses. It is packed with vitamins and amino acids, the building blocks of healthy skin cells, so it is often an ingredient in serums, moisturizers, and eye creams.
- Chlorella grows in freshwater and is often added to juices as a health supplement. In addition, peptides derived from this type of green algae help prevent damage and the aging effects of UVB rays. It also has proven hydrating benefits for skin.
- Seaweed contains vitamins C and E, which provide protection from UV damage and moisturize skin. It also contains nutrients that reduce redness and inflammation, including acne and rosacea.
- Sea fennel is an edible plant found on the Mediterranean coast that contains chlorogenic acid, an antioxidant compound that fights free radicals. It can also brighten pigmentation for a clear complexion.
I’m more determined than ever to squeeze in last-minute beach time and maybe give my skin a seaside boost. Check out more innovative ingredients here.