Temperatures are heating up, and it’s no secret that summer’s scalding temps and increased sun exposure can create a not-so-sunny skin situation. From sweat-induced breakouts to dehydration and sunburn, skin is vulnerable to a sand pile of seasonal assaults, and your clients will be looking to you for help. Thankfully, we've got an expert here to help. According to skin expert Ellen Clark, founder and president of Control Corrective Skincare Systems, to avoid summer-induced chronic skin conditions, such as wrinkles and hyperpigmentation, it’s essential to remember the following summer skincare tips (and share them with your clients):
- Cleanse with warm water. Although rising temperatures may tempt you to turn down the water temperature, never wash your face with cold water, as it will keep pores from opening and therefore block proper exfoliation.
- Use a skin-specific SPF. Not all sunscreens are created equal. Whether you have sensitive, oily, dry, or hyper-pigmented skin, choose an SPF moisturizer or sunscreen that will protect and enhance your summer complexion – not wreak havoc on it.
- Stock up on summer beauty foods. Indulge in summer’s bounty of fresh fruit, such as strawberries, watermelon, and citrus. These fruits, among many others, have high water content and lots of vitamin C, so you’ll benefit from hydrated, antioxidant-rich skin.
- Add a hydrating serum. You’ll minimize sun damage and its inflammatory effects if you apply a nutrient-rich, calming serum under your moisturizer each day. Control Corrective’s Crystal C Serum combines vitamin C and hydrating aloe vera to aid tissue repair beneath the skin's surface.
- Sunscreen smart. It’s a no-brainer that you need to apply sunscreen every day (even if you’re just headed to the office!), but don’t forget commonly missed areas such as hands, feet, ears, scalp and behind the knees.
Control Corrective offers a complete sun care skin system, Control Sun Damage, which includes SPF creams, sunscreen and serums, as well as an Essential Sun and Sport Kit, a hydrating four-step suncare regimen for sun damaged skin. For more information, visit www.controlcorrective.com.