A few months ago, I had the pleasure of visiting Oscar Blandi Salon (New York City) for a hair refresh. Co-director of color Frank Friscioni worked magic on my monotone brunette shade with the perfect uplifting golden strands painted throughout. Usually when I get color done, I’m booking a maintenance appointment by now, but this time I continue to get compliments on my highlights. I followed up with Frank to get more of his insights to help your spa’s colorist deliver luminous, lasting shades.
- What hair-color trends are you excited about? For spring and summer, I am excited about introducing “blonder with ombré but less dark” as a look for some of my clients. I am loving that they still have roots with pale blonde highlights.
- What hair-color trends do you wish would fade away? Pink, orange, green, and purple hair. Thank god.
- What are some of your own favorite hair colors? Thanks to balayage, I am crazy for Sunkist tones.
- How do you keep your technique sharp? I spend hours and hours reading, observing people, and ultimately practicing my technique and I work hard to adjust creativeness from season to season.
- What's the best advice you've received? Perfect doesn't exist, there's beauty in everyone.
- How has hair color technology changed in recent years? Technique and color companies have both come a long way. Colorists have more options to be creative with these new, advanced products. Hair stays healthy and color lasts longer.
- What are some of your career highlights? Without sounding cocky, the best part of my day and of my career is watching women leaving the salon looking beautiful! Nothing else really matters.