Global Wellness Day (GWD), celebrated on the second Saturday of every June, will take place this year on Saturday, June 8 in over 150 countries at 5,000 different locations. The day was founded in 2012 by Belgin Askoy, founder of the Richmond Nua Wellness Spa (Sapanka, Turkey), after surviving a life-threatening illness. The not-for-profit international social project was developed to inspire people to live well and to make people aware of the value of life. GWD’s overarching motto is “one day can change your whole life,” so for this one day each year, people are encouraged to stop and think as they get away from the stress of city living and bad habits in order to find peace within.
New countries participating for 2019 include Cayman Islands, China, Dominican Republic, Kenya, Peru, and Zimbabwe. Here’s how just some of the most well-known spas and hotels are participating.
- Mandarin Oriental Boston: Not only is the Mandarin Oriental Hotel Group celebrating 10 years as a leader in the wellness industry this year, it is also celebrating Global Wellness day at each of its hotels and resorts. The Mandarin Oriental Boston will have a yoga class and sound therapy session, as well as complimentary refreshments and a raffle to win a Digital Wellness Escape spa treatment.
- Kimpton Seafire Resort + Spa (Cayman Islands) will kick off its GWD celebration with a community wide beach cleanup at the Seven Mile beach. The day will continue with a Pilates class, balance and breathing exercises, and a mental wellness seminar led by the Global Wellness Ambassador of the Cayman Islands and the new Kimpton Seafire Resort + Spa spa director, Ram Chatterjee.
- Four Seasons properties around the world plan to celebrate Global Wellness Day by promoting physical and mental health through complimentary, educational, and experiential wellness activities. At Four Seasons Hotel Austin (TX), guests will be joined by the Austin Humane Society for a chance to mingle with cute puppies at an adoption event, followed by a sage bundle-making workshop.
- Rosewood Phuket (Thailand) will start the Global Wellness Day celebration by connecting guests with their surroundings through a guided kayak ride around the colorful Emerald Bay. After which guests can enjoy a customized wellness journey at Asaya, the hotel’s new signature wellness outpost, which will feature fitness classes and authentic Thai touch and sound therapies.
- Meadowood Napa Valley (St. Helena, CA) will be joining the Global Wellness Day celebration for the first time this year with three yoga classes and two guided hikes complementary for guests, members, and the Napa Valley community. Though new to GWD, Meadowood has always had commitment to wellness and fitness and offers a robust selection of sports and fitness classes, an all-suite spa, miles of hiking trails, a staff of sports professionals, and a Resident Health Coach.
- At Four Seasons Hotel George V, Paris, the day begins with the “Run My City” program, which allows participants to jog through the Parisian streets, followed by a 15-minute foot reflexology session to further wake up and energize guests. The rest of the day, guests can switch gears to pamper themselves and develop self-awareness by enjoying French tea, yoga, and meditation as well as a conference on “The Healthy Attitude” by Pauline Burgener, Ph.D.
- Rosewood Hotel Georgia (Vancouver, Canada) aims to provide holistic healthy lifestyle practices to its guests this holiday through detoxifying vitamin B12 injections and cupping treatments, as well as a nutritional tutorial with naturopathic specialist Jason Marr, N.D. The hotel will also be offering a cooking demonstration by executive chef Kiran Kolathodan, which will walk guests through the pillars of health and wellness.
- In honor of GWD, The Parisian Macao (China) is launching their new Angel Glo Facial at their Le SPA’tique. The hotel partnered with New York-based celebrity esthetician Georgia Louise to bring the treatment that was originally created for the models in the 2018 Victoria Secret Fashion Show to the Paris hotel. The facial features Louise’s natural products and non-invasive techniques to improve blood circulation and awaken the skin to become runway ready.
- The Spa at the Mandarin Hotel at the Mandarin Oriental New York has partnered with Lululemon Athletica to bring a rejuvenating and comprehensive outdoor wellness session which will be open to the public. The event includes a digital well-being session with Jess Davis, founder of Folk Rebellion and Lululemon brand ambassador, a yoga class, a guided breathwork meditation, and a gong bath with Valerie Oula, founder of Modern Ritual NYC. Tickets are available for purchase for $50. All proceeds will go to a charitable organization.
- The Palms Hotel & Spa (Miami) is hosting an event titled “An Om to Wellness,” where hotel guests and can experience a complimentary yin yoga class with Libbyrae Troyer, accompanied by a mini hands-on massage from the property’s Aveda Spa. Complimentary Refresher juice and healthy bites from Essensia will be available, along with access to the hotel’s private pool for an afternoon of relaxation. Participants will also receive a $50 spa credit to be used towards any treatment over $140 at The Palms Aveda Spa.
- Even Hotels New York—Midtown East is welcoming Eli Walker, founder of Drunk Yoga and author of Shut Up Yoga, to lead a yoga session on GWD, which will be followed by personal stretches from Racked Stretch, a mind and body session, and an invigorating Zumba class. Healthy snacks including Lenny and Larry’s Complete Cookies will be served as well.
Whether you enjoy the gym or the spa, there is something for everyone to enjoy. Be sure to tag American Spa in your Global Wellness Day posts for a chance to be featured on our social media. We’re on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter. For more information on how spas are celebrating, go to www.globalwellnessday.org.