A crisis comes in various shapes and sizes. It could be a walkout, a cash crunch, injury or death of a key employee, or a devastating fire. No matter what the size or shape of the crisis, as the owner/manager you will have to lead your people through it.
Here are five tips to help you do exactly that.
- Adopt the mindset that "problems are opportunities." Frequently something that might appear to be a disaster could turn out to be a blessing in disguise.
- Communicate, calmly, clearly, and effectively with everyone involved, (management, employees, lenders, vendors, and clients) letting them know what's going on.
- "Walk your talk." Lead by example and don't ask others to do something that you wouldn't do yourself.
- Keep your mind clearly focused on running the business.
- Maintain a sense of humor and your self-confidence. If you're upset, don't let your team know it. This is not the time to wear your inner feelings on your sleeve. You've got to KEEP YOUR PASSION for your salon/day spa alive!
By Andrew Finkelstein, CEO, The Beauty Resource www.thebeautyresource.com