Santa Monica-based CBD wellness and beauty brand Prima recently received B Corporation Certification. The award-winning company, which launched its initial lineup in June 2019, earned the validation after a rigorous B Impact Assessment process led by B Lab, a non-profit that aims to solve global environmental and social challenges by “using business as a force for good.” The screening process involved evaluating the impact of Prima’s operations and business model on workers, community, environment, and customers, in addition to employee benefits, charitable giving practices, and the company’s supply chain. "We're beyond pleased to welcome Prima, as they stand clearly ahead as poised leaders of consciousness, credibility, responsibility, sustainability, and transparency in the quickly developing CBD category,” says Lindsey Wilson, senior associate of business development at B Lab. “Prima's certification demonstrates their unyielding commitment to consciousness and mission work innovation, as they are setting a course for bold social and environmental action which showcase their deepest beliefs and responsibilities for a more equitable, impactful and brighter future."
While there are more than 3,000 business that are B Corp certified worldwide, Prima is only the ninth CBD company to join the ranks. Certified B Corp are legally required to commit to socially and environmentally responsible business practices, as well as consider the impact of their actions on their workers, customers, suppliers, the environment, and the community at large.
Prima’s dedication to these values is demonstrated by the brand’s six founding principles:
- Beyond Clean: Prima claims to be 100 percent clean, avoiding the use of more than 2,800 ingredients that have the potential for eco-toxicity, contamination, and health concerns.
- Climate Positive: Prima is Climate Neutral Certified, which validates that they measure, reduce, and offset their carbon footprint across the entire operations and supply chain. In the last year, the company managed to offset more carbon than they used by participating in Carbonfund.org reforestation projects.
- Reduce Wisely: Prima consistently utilizes sustainable packaging and avoids plastics like ABS and PVC. 85 percent of its packaging is recyclable, 75 percent is glass, and 14 percentt is made from recycled materials.
- Source Responsibly: Prima thoroughly evaluates and audits its supply chain partners to ensures that they maintain ethical working conditions, environmental practices, and labor policies.
- Give More: Prima donates 1 percent of its annual revenue to various nonprofit partners, such as Wholistic Research & Education Foundation, Sierra Club, and Children & Nature Network.
- People First: Prima provides comprehensive healthcare, equity ownership, heartfelt leadership, and a flexing working environment to all employees.
"Now, more than ever, it's imperative that businesses are transparently accountable for the health of individuals, our environment and our collective wellbeing,” says Christopher Gavigan, founder and CEO of Prima. “We're incredibly proud to be part of a global movement of businesses enacting the change they wish to make in the world—and using business as a tremendously important force for good.”