Not all masks are created equal. There are various types available today, and each provides its own set of benefits to the skin. Find out more about these masks and how they are being incorporated into treatments:
- CLAY MASKS: Clay masks are useful in treating acne because they help to draw out impurities and detoxify the skin. They also provide strengthening and firming benefits. For example, the Holistic Custom Facial (starting at $190, 60 minutes) at The Spa & Salon at The Sanctuary at Kiawah Island Golf Resort (SC), which utilizes Naturopathica products, includes an enzyme peel, restorative serum, and a clay mask that contains kaolin and bentonite clays to help purify and draw out impurities.
- CREAM-BASED MASKS: Ideal for normal to combination and dry skin types, cream masks help to replenish and moisturize the skin, add hydration, and soothe redness. Esencia Wellness at Eden Roc Miami Beach (FL), for example, offers The Recovery ($180, 50 minutes) facial, which helps to soothe and hydrate the skin with Eminence Organics Skin Care products, including a moisture-rich nourishing cream mask.
- FOIL MASKS: Foil masks are foil-coated sheet masks that work by sealing in skin-rejuvenating ingredients, resulting in soothed and hydrated skin. At Ocean Spa at Playa Largo Resort & Spa (Key Largo, FL), the Lifting RX Facial ($75, 25 minutes) is an express facial that uses Babor products to target dehydrated skin, including a silver foil mask to plump, reduce redness, and lift the skin.
- GEL MASKS: Gel masks are soothing and cooling, helping to hydrate skin and promote skin recovery. For example, at the Well & Being Spa at the Fairmont Scottsdale Princess (AZ), guests can book the Be Refreshed: Purification Ritual (starting at $255, 90 minutes) service, which utilizes Naturopathica products. It begins with an exfoliation and mud wrap with black silt clay, then the face is cleansed with an oat polish and nourished with a hydrating aloe gel mask. A scalp massage, hair-conditioning treatment, and a full-body massage follow.
- JELLY MASKS: Jelly masks have a jellylike texture making them easy and fun to apply. They are super-hydrating, and provide cleansing, exfoliating, and conditioning benefits. The Spa at Pebble Beach (CA) offers The Royal Treatment ($285, 75 minutes), a massage treatment that utilizes Pino Natural Spa Therapy products and includes an application of pure honey and a beeswax sheet on the back, followed by a therapeutic massage, foot scrub, and a royal jelly facial mask.
- PEEL-OFF MASK: Peel-off masks are usually brushed on the skin and left on for about 15 to 20 minutes and then peeled off revealing more radiant skin. Available at The Lodge at Woodloch Spa (Hawley, PA) is the Sensitive Facial ($140, 50 minutes), which utilizes Kerstin Florian products to protect, correct, and rebuild skin. It includes a calming peel-off mask to even skintone, strengthen capillaries, and soothe sensitive skin.
- POWDER MASKS: Powder masks require more work than others but are beneficial because they can be customized based on what the client’s skin needs that day. The Dr. Alkaitis Organic ’Skin Food’ Facial ($115, 60 minutes; $130, 90 minutes) at Fabriq Spa (Philadelphia), for example, includes a customized Dr. Alkaitis herb-infused powdered mask, followed by an application of Organic Nourishing Treatment Oil.
- SHEET MASKS: Sheet masks come in a variety of fabrics, such as cotton, cellulose, or fiber, and they are great for all skin types. They are usually already wet inside of a package, soaked with effective ingredients to leave skin cleansed, hydrated, and rejuvenated. At the Spa at Grand Sierra Resort (Reno, NV), guests can opt for The Grand Custom Image Facial ($80, 25 minutes; $120, 50 minutes; $180, 80 minutes), which uses Image Skincare products to help brighten and hydrate the skin, and they can choose from several facial upgrades, such as the I Mask Biomolecular Hydrating Recovery Mask ($25), which is an ultra-hydrating sheet mask from Image Skincare that contains a blend of amino acids, antioxidants, ginseng root extract, and volcanic water for the ultimate skin rejuvenation.