Chock-full of healthy nutrients, salmon makes a splash on the menu at The Oaks at Ojai (CA) for its flavor and its body benefits in this poached salmon recipe from chef Christine Denny. “What strikes me most about this dish is both the eye appeal and range of nutrition,” she says. “All of the colors represent different nutrients: vitamins A, C, and D; digestive enzymes; beta carotene; fiber; calcium; protein; and omega-3 oils. It’s just further proof that food that is good for you is also satisfying to the taste buds and the eyes. We eat with our eyes first, and this one’s a beauty.”—J.K.C.
Chilled Poached Salmon with Pineapple Salsa and Cucumber Créme
- 1/4 pound of tomatillos, chopped to the size of relish
- 1/2 cup of pineapple, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup of Anaheim chilies, chopped
- 1 tbsp of green onion, minced
- 1 1/2 tsp of rice vinegar
- 1/4 tsp of ground coriander
- 1/8 tsp of garlic powder or 1/2 of a small fresh garlic clove, finely minced
- 1/3 cup of yogurt
- 1/4 cup of diced European cucumber (you do not have to remove the peel or the seeds if you use this variety)
- 2 tbsps of minced green onion
- 2 tbsps of capers
- 1 tbsp of seeded mustard
- 1 tbsp of fresh lemon juice
- 6 salmon fillets (4 ounces each)
- 6 lemon slices
- 1 cup of white wine mixed with 1 cup of water
- 1 tsp of dried dill or 1 tbsp of fresh dill, minced
- Combine all ingredients for Pineapple Salsa in a saucepan, and bring to a simmer for 2 to 3 minutes. Chill for 2 to 3 hours or overnight.
- Toss ingredients together for Cucumber Créme, and let set for one to two hours.
- Place salmon in a baking dish, cover with wine mixture, and sprinkle with the dill weed.
- Place a lemon slice on each fillet.
- Cover baking dish with aluminum foil or a tight-fitting lid, and bake at 350 degrees for approximately 15 minutes. Fish should be firm to the touch and only slightly pink in the middle when removed from the oven.
- Cool in poaching liquid, and serve on a plate lined with fresh lettuce leaves and garnished with a few fresh tomato slices. If you have red and yellow tomatoes, it is particularly attractive.
- Spread the Cucumber Créme and the Pineapple Salsa on each side of the fish fillet.