Today marks the beginning of the Phuket Vegetarian Festival, which takes place over a nine-day period in Phuket, Thailand. This colorful cultural festival celebrates the Chinese community’s belief that abstinence from meat and various stimulants during the ninth lunar month of the Chinese calendar will help obtain good health and a peace of mind.
Nearby luxury hideaway Paresa Resort, which is known for its exceptional Thai cuisine and Recipe cooking school, offers a special Vegetarian Street Food Festival Package to ensure visitors get the most out of their stay. The package will give guests the opportunity to learn about Thailand's vegetarian culture and experience some of the best vegetarian street food in the country. To get a bit closer to wellness goals without travel, consider adding more vegetarian dishes, like this recipe below, into your diet.
Vegetable Spring Roll
6 pieces of Spring Roll Pastry Sheet (Frozen)
½ cup of Wheat Flour
2 Pinches of Black Pepper
50 grams of Taro
Pinch of Sea Salt
1 cup of Vegetable Oil
50 grams of Carrots
2 tbsp. of Sweet Chili Sauce
50 grams of Gelly Mushrooms
50 grams of Glass Noodles
- Mix the wheat flour with water. (This mixture will serve as a form of ‘glue’ to stick the spring roll sheets together.
- Clean all vegetables under cold running water. Cut vegetables in very thin strips.
- Heat the oil in frying wok. Add the vegetables and sautee for 2 minutes, or until they start softening. Season with salt and place on serving plate.
- Soak glass noodles in cold water for a couple of minutes, then squeeze the water out and add them to the cooked vegetables.
- Take the square spring roll sheet and rotate 45 degrees. Take the left corner of the sheet and fold into the center of the square.
- Put a tablespoon of the vegetable mix in the center of the spring roll sheet, then start to wrap by folding the edge to the center. Spread the water and flour mix on the remaining edge of the sheet and finish wrapping.
- Deep-fry the spring rolls in a wok with oil over high heat, or in a deep-fryer.
- Serve immediately with sweet chili sauce.