Too much time in the sun can definitely leave its mark on your clients’ complexions. However, Sheetal Rawal, founder of Apsara skincare, has a DIY Ayurvedic remedy handed down from her mother and grandmother that can help. Working to reduce the discoloration caused by sun damage and more, it relies on a variety of all-natural ingredients, such as turmeric, lemon juice, and potato juice. “Turmeric is an awesome antioxidant and has been known for its color-balancing properties,” says Rawal. “Lemon juice is a rich source of citric acid, which is an alpha-hydroxy acid, and potato juice is highly recommended in Ayurveda for pigmented and discolored skin renewal.” Here, she shares her recipe incorporating these ingredients for a mask to treat hyperpigmentation.
- 1 tbsp of rice flour
- 1/8 tsp of turmeric
- 8 drops of fresh lemon juice
- 10 drops of fresh potato juice
- Mix ingredients to form a smooth paste.
- Add some warm water to thin it out.
- Apply mixture to the skin, and let it stiffen for about 12 minutes.
- Wet the mask with warm water, and massage with upward, circular strokes for about two minutes before removing.