While it’s widely debated, several of the most common ingredients found in chemical-based sunscreens have been linked to some potentially harmful side effects. The Environmental Working Group (EWG) has reviewed data about human exposure and toxicity for some of the most commonly used sunscreen ingredients and found that the following were cause for concern:
- Homosalate: Can disrupt hormones.
- Methylisothiazolinone: Can cause allergic reactions.
- Octinoxate: Can disrupt hormones and cause allergic reactions.
- Octocrylene: Can cause allergic reactions.
- Oxybenzone: Can cause allergic reactions and disrupt hormones.
For more info on the best sunscreens to use and beyond, check out the EWG's 2019 Sunscreen Guide.