Throughout the pandemic, the use of face coverings has risen sharply in popularity due to their role as a lifesaving tool. But in the beauty and spa industry, another type of face mask—that is, facial skincare masks—have been en vogue for decades due to their ability to heal, treat, and protect the skin. “Facial skincare masks always provide excellent results and are good for business,” says Lydia Sarfati, CEO and founder of Repêchage. “In fact, the market value for face masks worldwide has been steadily increasing and is expected to grow from about $32.76 billion in 2018 to nearly $51 billion in 2025.” The lucrative nature of the industry has resulted in a legion of products that address everything from dull and dry skin to acne. As masks are a surefire way to quickly introduce a variety of beneficial ingredients to the skin, helping your clients to choose the right formulas, whether at home or at the spa, is sure to help them and their skin stay happy, fresh, and glowing. Says Josanna Gaither, director of education and events at Natura Bissé, “It’s the necessary step that elevates the results of polishing the complexion and adds the extra boost of nutrients your skin needs.”
Everyone may be able to reap benefits from skincare masks, but it is definitely not a one-size-fits-all situation. Find out the specific benefits of some of the trendiest and most effective ingredients found in masks today.
• ALOE: Renowned for its anti-inflammatory and ultra-moisturizing properties, aloe has also been known to fight acne and reduce the appearance of dark spots.
• ALPHA ARBUTIN: Alpha arbutin brightens the skin, effectively lightening any dark spots or hyperpigmentation.
• CBD: This ingredient has calming, anti-inflammatory effects on the skin.
• CHARCOAL: Charcoal absorbs impurities, such as dirt and excess oil and leaves skin clean and detoxified.
• CHOCOLATE EXTRACT: Containing powerful antioxidants, chocolate extract helps to protect the skin from the effects of free radicals. This ingredient is as rejuvenating and skin-strengthening as it is pleasantly scented.
• HYALURONIC ACID: Hailed far and wide for its hydrating and plumping effects, this ingredient can reduce fine lines and add a much-needed glow.
• KAOLIN: This clay is notable for its ability to simultaneously decrease redness and absorb excess oil and sebum without drying out the skin.
• RETINOL: A vitamin A derivative, products containing this miracle ingredient help minimize fine lines, treat acne, increase collagen production, and prevent wrinkles.
• SEAWEED EXTRACT: Bursting with amino acids, vitamins and minerals, seaweed extract mitigates irritation and moisturizes and softens skin.
• VITAMIN C: One of the most well-known antioxidants in the skincare space today, vitamin C is a panacea for uneven skintone, dullness, hyperpigmentation, and texture.
For more information on skincare masks, check out the Jan/Feb issue.