It’s nearly impossible for spa-goers to leave a spa feeling thirsty or dehydrated these days. In fact, drinking lots of water is one of the first things therapists suggest following a massage. “Our bodies are constantly producing metabolic waste, which can become trapped if our muscles are tight and circulation is restricted,” says Barbara Close, founder and CEO of Naturopathica.
“Relaxing the muscles with massage helps to open these circulatory pathways, directing metabolites toward the kidneys. Hydration after a massage helps the kidneys to flush and eliminate this waste.” While bottled water has long been the go-to method for keeping guests hydrated, it certainly isn’t the most original or eco-friendly. “Our industry is famed for delicious varieties of ‘spa water,’ but it’s possible to refuel with other hydration boosters,” says Close.
At Naturopathica Chelsea (New York City), spa-goers can enjoy a host of beverages. “We also add our herbal tinctures like Burdock Radiant Skin Tincture to these tonics, elixirs, and teas to expedite the healing process,” says Close. Water dispensers and purifiers can also provide spas with a more sustainable choice than bottles of water. Here are some other options to help guests hydrate.
1. Boxed Water: Packaged in eco-friendly and recyclable paper cartons, Boxed Water helps you minimize your spa’s carbon footprint. The paper for Boxed Water’s cartons is exclusively from managed forests, where new trees are continuously planted to replace those harvested. BPA and phthalate free, it is free from impurities and comes in a variety of sizes.
2. Icelandic Glacial: This water is the world’s first bottled water to be certified carbon neutral. The naturally alkaline spring water hails from the Olfus Spring in Iceland, and the bottling facility is run on 100 percent natural green energy.
3. SOL Water: It is based on an ancient Hawaiian tradition that drinking sun- purified water can enrich hydration, improve physical function, and enhance both your emotional state and spirituality. The blue-glass bottle transforms water into purified healing water by harnessing the power of the sun. The company also donates 1 percent of the proceeds of each bottle sold to charities that support clean drinking water in third world countries.
4. DYLN Living Water Bottle: Made of stainless steel, the reusable DYLN Living Water Bottle features a VitaBead diffuser that turns lifeless water into alkaline, antioxidant water in just 15 to 20 minutes. BPA- and toxic-free, it helps increase pH up to 9.5 to restore balance to the body.
5. Detoxwater: Loaded with electrolytes and vitamins, Detoxwater is infused with aloe, which is known to help regulate blood sugar levels, act as an anti-inflammatory, boost the immune system, and improve the skin’s overall health.