When it comes to achieving plump and dewy skin, hyaluronic acid (HA) has long been a go-to ingredient in helping the skin to retain water. A key molecule in skin aging, it works to repair tissue, promote and moderate inflammation, and improve wound repair. “Hyaluronic acid is one of the most important components in our cellular makeup,” says Shannon Esau, CEO and national educator of Rhonda Allison Cosmeceuticals. “It’s found in the skin, cartilage, and clear protective gel in our eyes, and it’s absolutely essential to our skin’s ability to retain water and carry waste away from our cells.”
According to Deb Uhrberg, president of Scandic Beauty, HA can hold up to 1,000 times its weight in moisture. This certainly makes it the ultimate hydrator. Dermal fillers, such as Juvederm, Restylane, and Radiesse, also rely on HA to plump up fine lines and fill in areas revealing a loss of volume. Also appealing to many is the fact that it’s naturally produced by the body. Unfortunately, as Uhrberg points out, aging, pollution, and UV radiation can all diminish the amounts available. As a result, it’s often necessary to replenish with a topical formula.
“Although healthy, normal skin has relatively high concentrations of HA in the basal layer of the epidermis, the production of it can be affected by age and various environmental elements,” says Esau. “Take, for example, UV exposure. As UV damage occurs, production of hyaluronic acid in the cells of the dermis slows, decreasing the skin’s ability to prevent trans-epidermal water loss, which leaves skin dry and depleted.”
Hydrate clients’ skin with hyaluronic acid products to help them achieve more radiant and healthier skin.
1. Seconde Peau from Biologique Recherche
2. DetoxyGlow Brightening Hydration Essence from CelleClé Skincare
3. Moisture Surge Hyaluronic Acid Gel from Epicuren Discovery
4. Mésoforce Hyaluronic Acid Vitamin Mask from Vie Collection
5. Renewing Glycocides Cream from Pevonia
6. BeautyPrep Hyaluronic Serum from Jane Iredale
7. Hyaluronic Serum from Rhonda Allison
8. Ageless Total Pure Hyaluronic Filler from Image Skincare
9. Hydrogel Radiant Glow Facial Mask by Body Drench
10. 932 Lips and Mouth by Fillerina