Look—we get it. Times are hard. We all want to go outside. We all want to get a manicure, a facial, a blowout, and arguably most important, get a wax. While we can't express this enough—wait until this is over and don't touch your hair or skin—we also know that some people just can't take it anymore. And since we'd rather you stay home than sneak off to see your esthetician, we're willing to share with you some tips to completing your wax safely and cleanly from the comforts of your own home.
For starters, you need to ensure you're using a legitimate at-home waxing kit. There are tons of knock-off brands available online, so you want to make sure you're buying from a reputable and safe spa brand. For this story, American Spa spoke to licensed esthetician Shay Sadrolashrafi, who uses Waksē for waxing at home. Below, find Sadrolashrafi's tips for a smooth at-home waxing experience.
- Exfoliate: Prep the skin well before waxing by gently exfoliating your skin 24 to 48 hours before and after waxing.
- Don't Shave: Stop shaving at least two weeks prior to waxing to let your hair grow approximately ¼ inch. This will help the wax easily and more efficiently remove unwanted hairs.
- Stop Moisturizing: Make sure you stop moisturizing the day before your at-home waxing to avoid leaving an oily film on the skin, as this makes it more difficult for the wax to adhere to the skin.
- Perfect the Wax Temp: You will know the wax is ready for use when it is warm to the touch, but not hot, and has the consistency of honey. You want to make sure when applying that it glides easily over the skin.
- Go For It: Apply a thick, banana peel-like strip with firm pressure in the direction of your hair growth. At the very end of your strip create a half circle for an easy and less painful removal. If during the process the wax becomes stringy, it’s simply an indication that the wax is cold and will need a bit more heating time to become the perfect consistency.
- Placement: Evenly section the area that you’re waxing. If you are waxing your full face, start with your sideburns, then move to your cheeks, chin, lower and upper lips, and finally eyebrows. Be sure to touch up to ensure an even result.
- Post-Care: Use a serum to soothe and hydrate the waxed area. Waksē's Cactus H2O is packed with natural ingredients that will prevent ingrown hairs from forming and will leave the skin feeling smooth and radiant.