The practice of using crystals and gemstones to make jewelry and as a way to heal and protect is not new, but in recent years, the interest in using crystals and gemstones in the spa space has increased because of their therapeutic benefits, turning even the most skeptical spa-goers into believers. “For millennia, crystals have been believed to restore and enhance physical, mental, emotional, and spiritual equilibrium,” says Colleen McCann, founder of Style Rituals and author of Crystal Rx: Daily Rituals for Cultivating Calm, Achieving Your Goals, and Rocking Your Inner Gem Boss (Dey Street Books, 2018). “This ancient modality is now being embraced in a modern way, aiming to celebrate and unite crystal-infused beauty traditions throughout history and from all over the world. The potential benefits of crystal-infused products and treatments are vast and can include promoting the flow of chi — aka energy — assisting with feelings of anxiety, alleviating stress, boosting vitality, igniting creativity, attracting love, and more.”
Positive Vibes Only
Andrea Barone, CEO and founder of Crystal Hills Organics, reveals some of the most common crystals and gemstones used in skincare products and spa treatments today:
- Amethyst is known for inducing calmness and tranquility while enhancing concentration. In a treatment room, keeping an amethyst crystal near the bed or client promotes relaxation, providing respite for an overactive mind.
- Aman Spa at Amangani (Jackson, WY) offers the Native Crystal Therapy ($520, 1 hour 45 minutes) treatment that is designed to absorb and direct energies through the healing power of crystals. The treatment includes Aman’s exfoliating amethyst-infused scrub, a crystal-infused eye mask, a weighted blanket, and a full-body massage to promote total relaxation
- Citrine inspires creativity while boosting both energy and motivation. It helps elevate self-esteem and instill self-confidence. Its energies promote a positive mindset and revitalize the spirit, contributing to an overall sense of wellbeing.
- At The Ritz-Carlton Spa, Dove Mountain (Marana, AZ), guests can opt for the Desert Gemstone Ritual ($360, 1 hour 40 minutes), which includes the use of either a calming amethyst or a joyful citrine gemstone. The ritual includes a massage and is designed to help exfoliate, refine, and hydrate the skin, while enlivening the senses and calming the spirit.
- Clear Quartz enhances spiritual awareness and aids in manifesting desires and wishes.
- Loma de Vida Spa & Wellness at La Cantera Resort & Spa (San Antonio) offers the OTO CBD Firm and Lift Facial ($260, 75 minutes), which is designed to rebalance tired, stressed skin, and restore radiance both inside and out using sound therapy, a sculpting bamboo massage, and the cleansing properties of clear quartz crystal.
- Lepidolite, a calming presence, fosters serenity and offers support during transitions like shifts in relationships, job status, or financial pressures. It is recognized for its ability to alleviate anxiety and worry, calm frayed nerves, and release tension, and addresses sleep disturbances.
- The Spa at Four Seasons Philadelphia at Comcast Center utilizes lepidolite, rose quartz, moonstone, and other crystals in the relaxation area to help relax guests and staff during their time at the spa.
- Obsidian serves as a catalyst for emotional healing and acts as a guardian of energy, instilling a sense of grounding and security.
- At the Life in Balance Spa at Miraval Berkshires (Lenox, MA), guests can enjoy the Obsidian & Sage Detoxifying Ritual ($450, 1 hour 40 minutes), which includes mind-clearing obsidian, aura-cleansing sage, and detoxifying mud to help exfoliate and nourish the body.
- Rhodonite emanates the energy of love and enhances self-expression. It is a great crystal for meditation or introspection when seeking to uncover one’s innate gifts or life purpose. Its vibrational energy can realign one’s sense of self-worth and self-love, thereby aiding in attracting the right individuals and situations into their lives, supporting them on a personal journey.
- At Joya Spa at Omni Scottsdale Montelucia (AZ), when guests arrive, they are greeted by a Joya Journey Coordinator who brings them to the Joy of Intention room where guests can choose from five healing stones to set the tone for the day, including tiger eye, blue lace agate, rhodonite, rose quartz, or hematite.
- Rose quartz fosters a state of mind that is conducive to inner peace, acceptance, self-worth, compassion, and sensitivity. Rose quartz is known for lifting up one’s vibration to the pure energy of unconditional love and encourages the release of emotional burdens like resentment, sadness, and feelings of guilt or loss. Rose quartz also stimulates circulation, softens the skin, and imparts a rosy complexion.
- Tree Spa at Hidden Pond (Kennebunkport, ME) offers the Transcend in the Trees, Transform Body, Mind and Spirit ($255, 90 minutes) service. This massage and body treatment uses garnet, carnelian, rose quartz, and amethyst to work in synergy with four distinctive herb-infused oils that share the same vibration as their gemstone counterpart. The body is massaged with stones, oils, and movements corresponding to the energies of the chakra system.
- Selenite resonates at a high frequency, and some people can actually feel the energy when holding it. This crystal is said to create a peaceful and enlightened state, dissolving congested energies and negativity. It can bring a rapid shift of energy and replace negative energy or emotional turmoil to lift one’s spirit.
- At Sana Spa at Etéreo (Quintana Roo, Mexico), The Flow ($308, 60 minutes), which is a light pressure full-body massage, as well as all bodywork services at the spa, commence with a positive intention setting using energized selenite meditation trays.