WHILE THE HOLIDAYS ARE A TIME OF GOOD friends and good cheer, they are also a time when good skincare practices are often pushed to the wayside. It's easy to go overboard during the holidays, and it is just as easy for impurities from alcohol, sugar, and sodium to set in, making one feel sluggish and look exhausted. Give your clients the gift of radiant-looking skin this season by encouraging them to take heed of the following tips.
1. No matter how exhausted you may be when you kick off your heels at the end of the night, never forget to remove your makeup before climbing into bed. It destroys the skin's texture, which can make you look older. Always continue with your nightly skincare routine. If you truly do not have the time, at least be sure to remove all traces of makeup, which will allow the skin to breathe during the night.
2. Unwind with a soothing salt bath at least once a week. Not only is it good for the circulation, but it is also an extremely relaxing treat. Add some detoxifying ingredients as well, but if you do not have them available, at the very least add salts. Also, keep the water temperature moderate—water that is too hot will dry out the skin, and water that is too cold will not be as calming.
3. Upon waking up, go outside and breathe in some fresh air. Follow it up by drinking a large glass of water. The body dehydrates while you sleep, which can make the skin appear dull and dry. Drinking water on an empty stomach will work to immediately replenish essential fluids the body needs so you look and feel your best. It will also make you feel alert and is a healthier choice over caffeinated drinks.
4. Add five drops of the bee extract known as propolis, which is a strong natural antibiotic, to a bottle of water. This will help boost the immune system to help ward off colds and viruses.
5. The best thing for the body is a full night's sleep. Lack of rest can compromise the immune system, making you susceptible to colds and the flu, especially during the winter. Plan to get as much rest as you can, and set aside some time for power naps before events to give you an extra burst of energy.
6. While you may indulge in many delicacies during the holiday season, keep a healthy number of fruits and vegetables in your diet. They contain essential vitamins that the skin needs to stay vibrant. Overall, proper nutrition will help you feel energized.
7. Schedule a facial for the morning after a night out, or set aside the entire next day to take advantage of some spa treatments. The relaxation and treatments will do wonders for your skin and your overall appearance.8.
8. When all else fails, take cover. Use a good concealer to hide dark circles and other remedies to reduce puffiness around the eyes.
These tips are important for your clients every day of the year, not just during the hectic holiday season. Proper care from the inside and out is essential to maintaining healthy and radiant-looking skin. —Cornelia Zicu
Cornelia Zicu recently launched Cornelia Zicu, LLC, an international consulting and product development company specializing in spa and beauty treatments. Her career began at The Peninsula Spa (New York City), where she quickly garnered many celebrity and high-profile clients. She also served as the namesake for Cornelia Day Resort in New York City and has helped launch several high-end beauty product lines.