Curanderos, village healers in Latin America, practice a holistic form of healing that combines prayer, herbal remedy, ritual, spiritualism, and massage. Lantana Spa at the JW Marriott San Antonio Hill Country Resort & Spa (TX), admires the healing powers of the curanderos and pays homage with services that honor their practices. The Seven Knots Ritual, practiced by the curanderos, works to release worries and stress from the ill. Lantana Spa offers this ritual at the spa for guests, and in 2021, guests can participate in the 21 Knots Ritual in honor of releasing the stress of the past year. The ritual historically involves tying seven knots into a red ribbon, one for each worry, with the seventh knot completing a circle. Tying the knot releases that specific concern, enabling the person to leave it behind. Guests are given a ribbon at check-in to complete the ritual on their own. If one does not want to travel, they can create their healing ritual at home, leaving worries behind, using the following directions:
21 Knots Ritual Materials Needed:
- Red ribbon, string, or cord – 9 to 12 inches long. *Red Ribbon is required as it symbolizes strength, health, vigor, energy, passion, courage, element of fire, career goals, fast action, vibrancy, driving force, and survival.
- A quiet place to concentrate.
- A moment to slow down and release stress.
- Tie the first knot at one end while focusing on the first concern.
- Take a moment.
- Tie the second through the 21st knots – each one focusing on a different worry.
- Tie the last knot to create a circle of ribbon.
- When tying each knot, concentrate on one specific concern, visualize a best outcome, and let go of the concern.
For information on more new programs and offerings at spas, visit the May/June issue of American Spa.