Successful people will tell you that planning for success is the only way to make success happen. When opening your own spa or salon, it’s important to take note of what has worked for others in the business and implement those facets into your business plan. An even better way to learn from the success of others is by partnering with a mentor. For most spa owners and operators, having the guidance of a coach or mentor is essential for attaining the goals that lead to accomplishment.
However, finding the right person to help you grow your business is not always easy. Ronit Enos, business strategist and founder of Salon Cadence, a unique educational program that teaches spa and salon owners to how manage money and gain confidence in running their business, suggests keeping two things in mind: be clear about the goals you want to achieve, and find someone you can communicate honestly with.
According to Enos, coaches and mentors can help clarify where to take a business, correct problems, help plan new initiatives, and determine the skills and steps needed for success. Most importantly, your mentor will hold you, the business owner, accountable. “Guidance is equally valuable for those who have already achieved a degree of success and want to grow in a different direction or find a better work-life balance,” says Enos. “If you can connect with the right coach, you will be amazed at the progress you can make toward your goals.” Check out Enos’s tips for finding the right coach or mentor below:
- Ask for recommendations from peers and get feedback on success stories.
- Attend seminars of coaches in local area to access their skills and personality.
- Interview at least three potential coaches and research how long they’ve been in business, their coaching style, the number of clients, and ask them for multiple references.
- Make sure the coach or mentor offers a complimentary strategy call, a key tool in determining if chemistry and communication style is a good fit.
- Request information on teaching philosophy; ask if video learning is utilized and if a feedback accountability system is in place.
- Inquire about the support offered after the intensive coaching period…is there an ongoing mastery or group program?