During this time of social distancing, and with no set date on when spas are going to re-open, maintaining and improving mental health has become critical. A quick and easy way to do this is with an at-home spa routine. Lorena Balensi, clinical esthetician and owner of Balensi Spa (Chula Vista, CA), follows these fives steps for replicating the spa experience from the comfort of her home.
- Set the mood: Create a relaxing ambiance by lighting a candle and playing calming music.
- Start with a clean canvas: Start by cleansing, or if needed, double cleansing, the skin to ensure makeup, excess oils, sweat, and any dirt is gone. When double cleansing, start with an oil-based cleanser, and then wash your face again with a water-based cleanser.
- Exfoliate: Exfoliating helps improve the skin’s natural glow and promotes skin cell growth.
- Massage and mask: For dry skin, use a moisture mask made from oatmeal, honey, and milk. To create the mask, mix the ingredients together and then gently apply it by massaging it into the skin for a spa-like experience. Leave the mask on for about 15-20 minutes before rinsing with warm water.
- Hydrate: To finish, apply any of your usual serums, moisturizers, or sunscreen.
At-home spa routines can help boost your mood and confidence during this unprecedented time. Taking inspiration from a professional esthetician can be a great way to improve lifestyle and self-care while at home.