Rena Levi is known for her sensitivity towards clients with severe acne and problem skin. In 1968 she moved from Israel to the U.S. and studied with Christine Valmy at the European Esthetic Skincare Institute. In 1975, she opened the Rena Levi Skin Care Salon in New York City. In 1980, she moved to Albuquerque, NM, where she managed the skin care center for Eleganza Salon and further developed and refined her practice. It was there that she became well known for her ability to treat what many considered impossible skin, while also teaching budding estheticians and skin practitioners at the same time, including the then-president of the New Mexico Board of Cosmetology. Here, Levi shares with us one of her most popular facial protocol treatments for treating clients with moderate to severe acne.
- Apply Sea Algae Cleanser with cotton pads or any pads of preference, cleansing skin thoroughly.
- Apply Sea Algae Toner, and continue cleaning the skin until all make up has been removed.
- Pour a small amount of olive oil into your hands, and massage skin for five minutes, regardless of the degree of inflammation.
- Apply Bamboo Exfoliating Scrub, and massage gently for a minute or two. Then steam the face for 10 minutes while the Bamboo Cleanser is still on, then remove the Bamboo Exfoliate.
- Wrap your index finger with cotton, and gently start removing black heads and white heads starting from one side of the face until the skin is clean. For stubborn black heads and white heads, make sure you hold the skin tight with the left hand while using a lancet in the right hand to gently poke the blemish. Using the lancet will make it easier for the white head to come out without bruising the skin; especially with a product like BD Ultrafine. This takes about 10-20 minutes depending on the severity of the acne.
- Spray skin with Aloe Vera Cooling Spray, and place a warm towel on the face to completely remove any residue.
- Apply Amazing Scrub, and massage the skin for one minute. Leave the scrub on the skin for an additional 10 minutes.
- With a cold towel or cotton pads gently cleanse Amazing Scrub. Remind your client that it is normal for the skin to feel tender.
- With a cotton swab, apply a thin layer of On the Spot! Solution, and leave on for five to 10 minutes.
- Gently remove the On the Spot! Solution with a cold towel or cotton pads before applying RLSC Vanishing Act Light Moisture Cream. Finish by applying RLSC Sun & Snow Sunscreen for added post-facial protection.
If your client's acne is severe, Levi suggests having your client come in once a week for at least three consecutive weeks, followed by every other week for another month for best results.
Want to submit your esthetician's protocols to American Spa? E-mail our digital editor Sam at [email protected]. And be sure to sign up for our new esthetician-focused newsletter, titled For Estheticians, to get the latest in treatments, products, and more sent directly to your inbox twice a month.