While it may seem obvious, many people simply aren't incorporating enough water into their daily lives. Since 70 percent of our body is water, it is important for general health and wellness to maintain your body's water levels. When the body's need for water is thwarted, many short-and-long-term negative health consequences occur. According to research, long-term dehydration can lead to rheumatoid arthritis, migraines, angina, colitis dyspepsia, hypertension, sinusitis, weight gain, and much more.
"Everyone needs to replenish their body water and their body water vapor to live longer, healthier lives," says Sharon Kleyne, founder and chairman of Bio Logic Aqua Research Technologies and host of the Sharon Kleyne Hour Power of Water radio talk show. Kleyene, who has been encouraging listeners to drink eight to 10 glasses of water everyday (approximately 64 fluid ounces) for more than two decades, compares drinking water on an empty stomach at the start of your day to a battery jump starting the body for a productive and energetic day.
Here, Kleyne shares eight benefits of drinking water daily:
- Drinking water urges movement of the bowels and rids the body of toxins.
- Water enhances your metabolism, priming the colon to absorb more nutrients.
- Drinking water reinforces weight loss.
- Water alleviates heartburn and indigestion.
- Drinking adequate water every day improves your complexion and skin radiance.
- Dehydration can negatively impact hair growth; drinking plenty of water each day will promote shiny, smooth, and healthy hair.
- Drinking water helps prevent kidney stones and bladder infections—the earlier in the morning the more effective water can be toward thwarting these issues. Plus, drinking water on an empty stomach dilutes acids that can lead to kidney stones and painful bladder infections.
- Drinking water strengthens the immune system.
According to Kleyne, these are just some of the many benefits drinking water can have on the body. “Drink a couple of glasses of water every day when you wake up,” says Kleyne. “Drink them on an empty stomach and continue to drink water throughout the day." Another tip from the professional? Kleyne even suggests printing out the list of benefits above and taping it to your refrigerator. "Gentle reminders are always helpful in the pursuit of better health."