In order to get the most accurate information about a client’s skin and be able to provide the most effective and safest treatment, it’s important for spas to conduct a thorough consultation on each client.
“Written and verbal consultations will help therapists determine if clients are suffering from a predetermined genetic factor, or if the sensitivity is being caused by external factors,” says Christine Dunn, national director of education for Pevonia. “Always have guests fill out a detailed consultation card, as this is a window to their daily lives and routines. Make sure the consultation form is thorough and has specific questions that can help determine the client’s reason for the sensitivity.”
Dunn suggests starting with questions like these:
- What products are you currently using?
- Have you experienced sensitivity from any skincare products?
- How often do you exfoliate?
- Are you using any topical prescriptions from a physician?
- How often is your sun exposure, and what is the duration?
- Do you wear sunscreen? If yes, SPF and brand?
- Do you follow any particular diet?
- Do you indulge in spicy foods, caffeine, red wine?
- Do you suffer from allergies?
- Do you experience bouts of skin blotching, burning, or itching?
- How often do you notice redness in the skin?
- Have you developed spider veins on the face?
For more valuable esthetician content, subscribe to American Spa's biweekly For Estheticians newsletter.