2018 marks the seventh-annual Global Wellness Day (GWD), a wellness-inspired event which takes place the second Saturday of June. Each year, participants are inspired to live by the GWD Seven Step Manifesto—walk for an hour, drink more water, don’t use plastic bottles, eat healthy foods, do a good deed, have a family dinner with loved ones, and go to sleep at 10:00 pm. This year on June 9, spas in more than 100 countries will be celebrating with a host of events, including classes like dance, Pilates, yoga, and Zumba; workshops on happiness, healthy eating, mindfulness, and nutrition; and more. Here are how some spas are participating.
- The Spa at Westin Mission Hills (Rancho Mirage, CA) will offer two complimentary yoga classes and promote Charity: Water, its preferred non-profit organization, with collateral on the importance of drinking water and how it impacts overall wellbeing. Additionally, donors will receive a complimentary bracelet with the words Charity: Water on it. The bracelets will also be available at the spa for guests who would like to make a donation.
- Chuan Spa at The Langham Chicago (IL) will begin the day with a Calm Mind Aromatherapy Guided Meditation session in the spa. The spa will also offer a wellness lounge and outdoor yoga on the American Medical Association Plaza. The afternoon will feature presentations on the GWD Seven-Step Manifesto and Skin Care 101. Activities for the day will conclude with a Chuan five-element wellness Chinese tea tasting.
- Rosewood CordeValle will be promoting the benefits of healthy living through special activities such as group fitness classes and family-friendly aerobics. The resort will be offering guided hikes, where guests can physically and mentally refresh in the beauty of the Santa Cruz Mountains. Guests can supplement their mindful visit with a unique overnight package that includes rejuvenating massages and healthy dinners for two.
- Four Seasons Resort The Nam Hai (Hoi An, Vietnam) will host a range of activities, including Tai Chi, AntiGravity yoga, rice field cycling, junior cooking academy and a menu of colourful, healthy options to fuel the day. Guests will also be invited to take part in the popular Goodnight Kiss to the Earth Ritual at the Heart of the Earth Spa where lanterns are lit and released into the Spa’s lotus pond.
- Pallavi Spa at Wyndham Grand Clearwater Beach (Clearwater, FL) will offer guided meditation on the beach. Guests will also have the opportunity to learn about superfoods and the benefits of juicing. As part of the day, they will receive a complimentary skin analysis with all booked facials and a discount on the Superfoods Facial ($125, 50 minutes).
- Willow Stream Spa at Fairmont Sonoma Mission Inn & Spa (CA) is offering Global Wellness Day activities on a space available basis. Events throughout the morning include private guided yoga, private guided hike and sun salutations, cardio stretches, and water yoga. Non-resot guests will even be able to purchase spa facility passes for $89 per person following the morning’s activities.
- The Spa at Mandarin Oriental Boston (MA) is celebrating GWD with two complimentary wellness inspired activities. First, guests are invited to participate in an energizing two-mile group run or walk around Boston Common, starting at 9 am, followed by a 50 minute yoga class. The class will take place on the hotel’s Arcade Level, located on the second floor. Reservations are suggested for this limited-space event.
- The Farimont Spa at Fairmont Jasper Park Lodge (Alberta, Canada) will offer three complimentary fitness classes throughout the day, one of which will be the Tata Harper Glow Meditation class. The guided meditation class features the Fairmont spa’s Tata Harper eco-friendly skincare line. Guests of the class will take home Tata Harper samples and will also receive a variety of fresh fruit and cold teas to enjoy in between and after classes as well.
- Monarch Beach Resort will be offering is offering unlimited participation in all wellness classes including beachside yoga, floating meditation, and cardio drumming at The Miraval Life in Balance Spa (Dana Point, CA). Additionally, all 60-minute spa treatments will be upgraded to 90-minutes at no additional cost when guests mention Global Wellness Day.
- Four Seasons Resort Rancho Encantado, will be offering guests numerous wellness experiences and amenities throughout the weekend as a tribute to focusing on individual health and wellbeing. To start, guests will have access to a wellness hydration station at check-in, and will be supplied with sunscreen and a cold towel upon arrival. The resort will also be offering its traditional 9 am hike from the property, as well as a 3 pm hike with the Adventure Architect and outdoor extraordinaire, Izzy Uzicanin. There will also be complimentary yoga classes offered Friday, June 8 and Saturday, June 9, and a special poolside yoga on Saturday.
For more information on how spas are celebrating, go to www.globalwellnessday.org.