We all know there are many facets to wellness. Some people like to focus on mental wellness, whether it be through meditation, massage, aromatherapy, or what have you, while others focus on physical wellness via eating right, exercising, going green, and more. The truth is, however, that the two should go hand in hand. Studies have shown that activities that boost physical wellness, such as exercise, can also increase mental wellness. Whether you're trying to increase your physical wellness, mental wellness, or just feel better overall, its important to surround yourself with activities and options that allow your wellbeing to flourish.
That's why with self improvement in mind the personal finance website WalletHub started 2018 by taking an in-depth look at the best and worst cities for living an active lifestyle. The study compared the 100 biggest U.S. cities based on 34 key indicators of an active lifestyle. The data set ranges from average monthly fitness-club fee to bike score to share of physically inactive adults. Check out some of their findings below – are you surprised by the results?
|Best Cities for an Active Lifestyle||Worst Cities for an Active Lifestyle|
|1||Chicago, IL||91||Jersey City, NJ|
|2||Portland, OR||92||Memphis, TN|
|3||San Francisco, CA||93||Garland, TX|
|4||San Diego, CA||94||Laredo, TX|
|5||Seattle, WA||95||Arlington, TX|
|6||Madison, WI||96||Newark, NJ|
|7||New York, NY||97||Bakersfield, CA|
|8||Denver, CO||98||Irving, TX|
|9||Boise, ID||99||North Las Vegas, NV|
|10||Minneapolis, MN||100||Hialeah, FL|
Best vs. Worst
- New York has the most sporting-goods stores (per square root of population), 0.4500, which is 16.6 times more than in North Las Vegas, Nevada, the city with the fewest at 0.0271.
- Scottsdale, Arizona has the most public golf courses (per square root of population), 0.0599, which is 37.4 times more than in Cleveland, the city with the fewest at 0.0016.
- Lincoln, Nebraska has the most fitness trainers and aerobics instructors per 100,000 residents, 185, which is 6 times more than in Bakersfield, California the city with the fewest at 31.
- San Francisco has the highest number of dance schools (per square root of population), 0.0510, which is 36.4 times higher than in Fresno, California, the city with the lowest at 0.0014.
- New York has the most playgrounds (per square root of population), 0.5737, which is 17.4 times more than in Hialeah, Florida, the city with the fewest at 0.0330.
To find your city's rank, the total findings of the survey, methodology, and expert insights, visit the WalletHub website.