The wellness industry is constantly evolving with new spas always popping up around the globe. Check out some of the newest destinations and sweetest treats, even those that are worth traveling with young ones for.
New to The Wellness World
- Napa Valley’s first Four Seasons Resort & Residences will begin accepting reservations as of January 6, 2020. The Calistoga-based resort’s Gran Roca Spa will offer an eight-room spa with steam pods in which hammocks will be suspended above geo-thermal pools for guests to absorb the heated vapor.
- The new FieldSpa at GoldenEye (Ocho Rios, Jamaica) will debut later this year, opening two new spa huts along with a new hammam treatment space and yoga deck. This expansion will provide direct access to the new spa cove, a crescent of sand nestled along the property’s signature lagoon. The hotel will also introduce a new treatment menu and selection of elixirs, juices and healthy bites to incorporate fresh ingredients from the hotel’s farm, Pantrepant.
- La Maison du Chocolat is now offering a guilt-free product line, Bien Être, rooted in the idea that top-quality chocolate is a healthy snack. The six new chocolate varieties are sweetened with natural sugars like honey, pureed fruits, and fruit nectar. The rich ganache, which is typically made with cream and butter, is made from a healthier recipe that combines hazelnut oil for creaminess with natural chicory fiber for substance.
Spas Worth Traveling the World For
- The three-story, hand-crafted Royal Mansour Spa (Marrakesh, Morocco) which resembles an elaborate white birdcage, is reason enough to visit the palatial property. Now, guests can enjoy new bespoke hammam treatments, where every step of the traditional technique will be personalized to the specific skincare needs of each guest using ingredients sourced from Morocco’s bountiful environment. Purifying clay, for example, has been collected from the Atlas Mountains while roses from the Kalaat Megouana valley are used in a new regenerating body wrap, and local saffron is infused into the gourmet glow wrap.
- Open-air treatment rooms at the Nayara Spa at Nayara Springs (Arenal Volcano National Park, Costa Rica) are cantilevered over the rainforest, allowing spa-goers to hear chirps from tree frogs and a running stream below. The Volcanic Mud Massage ($140, 80 minutes) is inspired by Costa Rica’s ancient beliefs that the application of volcanic-rich mud regenerates and nourishes the skin, and provides energy and inner peace. After the treatment, guests can overlook the rainforest as they lounge in a private plunge pool.
- Located above the rocky shoreline of the popular neighborhood of Pointe Milou, Sisley Spa at Hotel Christopher (St Barthélemy) features five treatment rooms, all of which look out to the ocean below. The spa most recently launched a new lomilomi massage ($162, 60 minutes; $235, 90 minutes), mimicking the sounds and movements of the waves by combining light stretching, kneading and acupressure to awaken and balance the body’s energy flow.
Treatments for the Whole Fam
- The Bee Pampered ($110, 50 minutes) children’s treatment at Kinan Spa at Belmond Maroma Resort & Spa (Riviera Maya, Mexico) includes a honey facial and a foot massage tailored to tiny feet. The honey is sourced from Kinan Spa’s own hive of native Melipona bees and is known for its strong anti-microbial and healing properties. As a memento, kids take home Meli, a Melipona bee stuffed animal.
- Kids at Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort (St. Lucia) can join their parents for a spa day at the Rainforest Spa, made up of treehouses dotted along the treetops of this UNESCO World Heritage Site. The entire family can spend a day relaxing in their private treehouse cabana while being pampered with all-natural rituals and treatments using locally sourced ingredients like coconut, aloe vera, and cocoa. Kids ages 5-11 can pick from island-inspired colors for a Happy Feet pedicure ($35, 25 minutes), or try a Sweet Chocolate Wrap ($30, 25 minutes) with local chocolate—and even sneak a taste. Tweens and teens ages 12-17 can enjoy everything from a Chocolate Mint Massage ($90, 45 minutes) to a Natura Bisse Teen Facial ($45, 50 minutes) designed specifically for sensitive and youthful skin.