Help clients achieve a healthy sleep schedule by offering these top tips from Alex Dimitriu, M.D., founder of Menlo Park Psychiatry & Sleep Medicine (CA).
1. Maintain regular bed and wake times.
2. Reinforce circadian rhythms with bright outdoor light in the morning and dark, dim lights in the evening.
3. Keep the bedroom cool and dark.
4. Don’t work, watch television, or do anything other than sleep or have sex in bed.
5. Don’t get stressed in bed—get out, relax, and try again later.
6. If unable to sleep after 15 minutes of meditation, get out of bed and do something quiet, like reading a book under dim light.
For more information on maintaining a healthy circadian rhythm, check out the May/June issue of American Spa.