The Epsom Salt Council is celebrating National Unicorn Day in a unique way this year. In honor of the annual holiday—which falls on April 9 each year—the council has shared a DIY bath bomb recipe that is sure to make your day more colorful. Follow the steps below to create a unicorn horn bath bomb that will make your skin feel like magic.
Ingredients (to make six bath bombs):
- 1.5 cups of baking soda
- 3/4 cups of Epsom salt
- 3/4 cup of corn starch
- 3/4 cup of citric acid
- 1.5 tablespoons of melted coconut oil
- 1.5 tablespoons of water
- 3/4 teaspoons of essential oil
- 1.5 teaspoons of cosmetic grade glitter
- Pink, blue, and purple food coloring
- A unicorn horn popsicle mold (easily found in craft stores or online)
Important Note: for human use, the Epsom Salt Council recommends only using Epsom salt with the USP designation.
- In a bowl, combine the baking soda, Epsom salt, corn starch, and citric acid.
- In a second bowl, combine the coconut oil, water, and essential oil, then separate into three bowls. Add a few drops of pink, blue, or purple food coloring to each bowl and stir. You can add more or less depending on how vibrant you’d like the colors to be.
- Separate out 1/3 of the dry ingredients into each bowl of oil and food coloring, then slowly mix everything together. It should have the consistency of wet sand. If it doesn’t look like it’s sticking, stir in ½ tsp of water at a time until you can press it between your fingers and it holds together.
- Add ½ tsp of cosmetic grade glitter to each bowl and mix.
- Layer the mixture into the mold and let dry overnight.
- The next morning, turn the mold upside down and tap it to release the bath bombs.
- Dissolve in your next bath and enjoy!
For more info on how to create your own fun unicorn bath bomb, check out the Epsom Salt Council's instructional video below: